I stumbled across this while browsing for interesting new music gear...
http://girtonlabs.googlepages.com/sensesurface (look at the movie down the
page, not at the top. ick.)

The basic idea is that you've got a bunch of physical controls, at this
point knobs, that attach to an LCD screen magnetically. (There is a magnetic
overlay that is attached behind the screen.) You place the knobs on the
screen, and the system senses their position and somehow sends that
information to a particular application.

This would be *amazing* for digital music (and probably other media)
production! To me, it seems like the possibilities for this kind of
interaction are near limitless. But the next step? Having the physical knobs
automatically reconfigure when you switch applications. : ) Sweet.

F.