On Jul 30, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Fred Beecher wrote:

And second, there's this debate about whether the prototype should be in a form that can be evolved into a production system. Personally, I am strongly against this in most situations. I strongly believe that the prototype is the designer's playground. It is where we can be creative, test our crazy ideas, obliterate the bad ones, and iterate on the good ones. Obviously we should be collaborating with developers on the impact that *fully tested* interactions will have on them, but we should be free to get all our failures out of our system before that happens.

Even though most of our prototypes these days are being recycled for production, I'm inclined to agree w/Fred. I don't think prototypes need to be created with the end goal of being used for production. It's a nice to have, but not a must have. In fact, in a survey I ran last month for people who prototype, creating reusable code was ranked 10th, when asked what factors were most important for a prototyping tool. Incidentally, the top three were 1) Time and effort to produce a working prototype 2) Creating a usable prototype for testing 3) Price.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]