One of my questions right now is whether or not to enforce the password complexity rule. It is enough to inform the user that their password is
weak, and let them go about their business if they so desire? Or do we
force them to have a "strong" password that they may forget later?
Security at the expense of usability, or usability at the expense of
security?

Personally I hate it when I'm forced to include at minimum 8 characters,
one uppercase character, one lowercase character, a symbol, etc. My
worry is that if we enforce this (as the project charter currently
specifies!) that people will choose crazy passwords, forget them, and
have to make numerous password retrieval requests, thereby degrading
their experience on the site.

This is personal opinion but I feel that design needs to be as flexible as possible unless there's a really good reason to do otherwise. For example, if your site is related to banking. Even Amazon, which stores credit cards, doesn't have a rigurous set of password rules (but they do have other measures, such as requiring you to enter the CC# again if you try to add a shipping address).

In that sense, I think it's better to inform than enforce.

Let the users know the strength of their password but don't force them to any particular level.

kevin cheng • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
author of http://bit.ly/seewhatimean
work at http://raptr.com
cofounder of http://ok-cancel.comhttp://offpanel.com