From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nasir Barday
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 5:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: IxDA Discuss
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] AWOL posts, was 'survey on design pattern usage'

We had an outage that prevented posts from appearing on the list, so even if
you hit your handy reply-all button, the post wouldn't have gone through. We
fixed the problem and put some preventative measures in place to keep it
from coming up again.

As for the usability of setting the default reply-to address as the original
sender, we've set it up this way so that out-of-office replies don't get
broadcast to the list and bounce back and forth between each other, bringing
the list to its knees.

Is this really the least usable list to which you subscribe? There are
several other UX lists that behave the same way, for the same reason.
There's a fine balance to walk here, mostly because Internet e-mail is a
system that hasn't evolved much from its roots in the 70s. That said, we're
looking at a complete re-design of the IxDA experience, which includes
re-approaching the list and thwarting most of the shortcomings we experience
with e-mail as a discussion medium. I hate to leave you hanging there, but I
promise more information in the next few weeks :-).

Cheers,
Nasir Barday
Digital Infrastructure Dude
Interaction Design Association