This is purely personal, no research, but I have noticed this on a few
occasions and with the proliferation of malicious web sites that might
hijack one's data entry find it disconcerting.  In a few cases, I
quickly shut down the page when it produced a different URL that was
similar, but odd.  There have been those PayPal and eBay emails where
the links sorta look like those companies, but are, in fact, fake
sites.

I also have serious multi-level security on my home system so I'm
probably a ways out on the suspicion curve.

I do think that it is legitimate issue.  I would worry more about this
if there was any personal data entry involved or a request for
sensitive information.  If the URL was to an informational site, my
level of diligence is not that great.

There is an edited book titled "Security and Usability" that was
mentioned in a recent post.  It might be worth looking through that.
The other source might be organizations that focus on Web security.
Are there any white papers on the McAfee site since this is an issue,
for example?

Thanks,

Chauncey