not really a smarter representation, but time manager international
http://www.tmiworld.com/ make a range of printed planners etc.
I've always loved their year planner booklet because it lets you see a month
to a page and plan down to the hour.
its schema is similar to the outlook example you mention - days on vertical
axis, hours on horizontal

My take-away from things like this is that you get overview and detail in
one view.. one of the tenets of a good visualization

http://dipity.com and http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/ are both timeline
driven representations that can help (and hinder) seeing resource clash
identification etc.. but I haven't seen them being used for that purpose.
yet..

similie timeline is implemented as a google gadget, so it's relatively easy
to prototype with it using Gspreadsheets
dipity eats rss, so again, it's relatively easy to build a prototype to test
ideas using pipes or similar

actually - having looked at dipity again, it'll be less useful for you
because it doesn't support event duration that well..

ps: whenever i think of calendars onscreen, I'm reminded of the section in
'about face' that takes apple to task for the abomination that is iCal :) I
think its in the section about implementation model vs experience model (or
something like that.. anyone?)