> > I am EXTREMELY worried about forcing high entropy on people
though... so
> > that's where I start sighing. Sigh.

> Well, the reality of the stringent password policy issue is that
> people will find lazy workarounds unless they are invested in the
> liability. Meaning... if it is their credit card that will be used,

That's pretty much my problem. We don't think users really care that
much, because it's not a banking app. The most a hacker could find would
be the user's phone number, address, etc.

Unfortunately, that user doesn't see how that information could then be
used to phish them, and install spyware. The consequences to my client
of that kind of attack are pretty huge, but a user doesn't foresee
something like that. So the interests of the company and the interests
of the users aren't really aligned.

That leaves forcing users to have strong passwords, which leads to
either a) annoyance & forgetfulness or b) sticky notes. The users of the
app are distributed -- so I'm wondering whether sticky notes really
matter that much.

I could see sticky notes being a problem if the sticky note is attached
to the very computer the password logs into. But if the sticky note is
for some random website? The person who wants the info on my client's
website is a large scale scammer -- not likely to browse through random
offices looking for sticky notes, you know?

I guess I'm convincing myself that perhaps sticky notes don't matter SO
much in this situation, and therefore it wouldn't be the end of the
world to force users to go for more complex passwords, that resist a
standard brute-force attack.

Wondering if I'm making any sense...

Meredith