Rob,

I'd say this is pretty risky. Unless you can see your participants
interacting with the website in question, you have no way to evaluate their
comments.

I can't count the number of times I've sat through sessions with people who
couldn't complete most of the tasks I'd ask them to do with some piece of
software. And then they'll say they think it's very good. Unless people have
something they MUST do with the software and they can't get it done, they'll
give you absurdly positive evaluations, and even if they've gotten
frustrated they'll often couch their complaints in excuses and exculpations.
Only a small minority seems to have the temperament to just tell you what
you need to know. I'm not sure I quite understand the phenomenon, but it
seems to be a combination of low expectations, denial, and misattribution by
which they increase their own chances of success and happiness in life and
decrease the likelihood you get an accurate picture of how well a site or an
app really works.

Anyhow, maybe you can set up a computer and ask them to show you how they
use the website, ask them to do a few of the things the website is supposed
to support. You'd vastly increase the amount of real knowledge you carry
away with you.

marijke

Marijke Rijsberman
http://www.interfacility.com