If it's any consolation, the technology itself offers some guidance--

 * Strict XHTML does not support the "target" attribute in an anchor tag
 * W3C accessibility guidelines instruct not to launch a new window
"without informing the user"
   http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/#tech-avoid-pop-ups

I'm generally hesitant to let the lowest common denominator (i.e.
text-based browsers) dictate how I implement a web site, but hewing to
the standard might be wise.  Looking forward to some hard evidence ;)

-Jonathan