Hello -

I've been following this group off-and-on for the past few years in hopes of
getting enough info to see if this is what I want.  Now I'm ready to get my
act together and the plan is to apply to a masters program in the next year
or two.

Since I'm not from a design background, what sorts of things should I work
on (personally and professionally) to be a strong candidate for
admissions?  How do design-school admissions people evaulate non-design
folks?

I graduated from university in 2007, and since then I've been
working in team management and process creation/improvement at a chemical
distribution company.  Fortunately (I think), this includes quite a bit of
IT-centered/technical communication initiatives.

If it helps, I'm preliminarily looking at  programs IIT, CMU, and UW.

Thanks for any advice, and best regards.

Robert