So I was just going through yet another useless registration form (cisco's, just so I can download their VPN client) and something occurred to me, looking at their random password rules (Your password must contain both upper and lowercase alphanumeric characters (a-z, A- Z,1,2,3...), and must be least eight characters long.).

I don't think I have ever seen a form that shows the rules you needed to follow when you chose the password when you have to enter it later on.

so, for example, I come back to this form, and I probably will not know that it was forcing me to use an uppercase letter, which I almost never do in passwords. If I knew that I would probably guess it, but not knowing that, there is no way I will.

Same thing happened the other day on a retirement site. The password there was all numbers, but I didn't know that until I clicked "forgot password" and had to choose a new one. if they let me know the rules it would help me remember.

Anyway, just thought it was odd that I don't remember ever seeing the rules posted on the other end, and I don't think I've ever seen this remarked on in a book, which is not to say it hasn't been.

Michael