Jack Moffett

> I read your column, and I agree with your reasoning to a point.

Good!

> However, you seem to be assuming that the two columns run the length of
the page.

Yes, I was pretty much assuming that.

> I design a lot of forms for applications-not really web
> forms, but most of the rules of form design should apply the same. I
> use a two column layout to make the most of the screen real estate.
> But I don't do it blindly. I logically group the fields and I section
> the form. In this way, the two columns don't run the length of the
> page, and fields are grouped in a meaningful way. And, as pointed out
> earlier, the fields are not filled out sequentially, so having more
> fit on the screen at one time makes them easier to find.
>
> So, while your reasoning does apply in many cases (and certainly in
> the example given at the beginning of your article), I can't agree
> with the statement that "two-column forms are best avoided."

Applications are an interesting complication. My experience has been that
users can either perceive them as 'this is really an application' or as
'this is really a web page'. (I'm sure that most people don't articulate
those thoughts, I'm just referring to the subliminal way in which users
respond).

My advice on avoiding two-column layouts on paper came from watching lots
and lots of users being confused by them. On a typical web form, it's
astonishing how little they look at outside of the primary column of fields
to fill in.

And now, applications. I'd love to have a chance to do some eye-tracking on
applications. My gut feel is that there's a greater tendency for users to
take in the whole of the page when it presents itself as an application
page. In the olden days, when paper and applications was all that I did, I
recall quite a lot of confusing application layouts but now you come to
mention it, I don't recall specifically two-column application layouts much.
They tended to be more all over the place.

/aside - the columnist's lament
In terms of the bald statement about 'two-column forms are best avoided' -
this is a perennial problem for me as a columnist/provider of advice. If I
come out with a moderately strong, straightforward statement then I get
dinged (and not inappropriately) for failing to consider some of the
complications. If I write another 'it depends on' piece, then I get dinged
(and not inappropriately) for being wishy-washy and writing 'it depends'.
/end aside

And now back to me learning more: It would be great to see some examples of
your two-column application layouts. Have you had the opportunity to test
any of them with users?

Best
Caroline Jarrett

----------book out mid-November
"Forms that work: designing web forms for usability" (Jarrett and Gaffney)

http://www.amazon.com/Forms-that-Work-Interactive-Technologies/dp/1558607102
/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223486164&sr=8-1

http://tinyurl.com/3mo3sl