Hi Atul,
I'm going to be straight up with you. I have not had a single
positive experience with ANY offshoring experience to date, whether
UX related or engineering related or even QA. What I have found
though is that the level of success is increased the more you can
"throw it over the wall". I.e. QA roles in engineering and
usability seem to be best suited for it.

As a USer-designer offshoring is a horrible notion because it means
jobs going away to save a buck. If you were paid something on the
order of what I was paid it was done because there wasn't enough
design resource here, I would oblige more freely, but it is almost
laways done to save a buck, and degrade payscales both in S. Asia and
in the US.

This btw, has nothing to do with the quality of work being done in
India. The issues are collaborative and cultural in nature.

UX is about communicating the abstract and abstractions often contain
too many cultural assumptions that get misinterpreted through the
imperfections of spoken and written communications that we rely upon
under tight periods. (1hr. phone calls).

I think a specific issue with UX offshoring that is intriguing is
that the UX is the face of the product and biz stakeholders want to
retain perceived control over the face of their products and services
so throwing it offshore is very difficult.

To me, you shouldn't approach this as an offshoe issue, but as an
"excellence" issue that happens to be cheaper. We work with British
design studios for example. We do so because the perceived value is in
excellence, obviously not because they are cheaper. When it comes to
UX, don't sell on "cheap" and don't call out the "offshore"
nature of it. Be the best and sell yourself as the best.

-- dave