Making things better is the job of design. Nobody deliberately designs stuff to make it worse. I don't think it's too lofty a goal, especially not in this day and age of climate change, hunger, poverty, economic crisis, etc., etc. If we're not making people's lives better we need to stop and think about what we're doing, I would say.

Not trying to indulge in hubris. Just trying to find an open-ended way to put people at the heart of what we are doing. As an organization, interaction design is at our core, but we are trying to acknowledge that IxD does little good unless it is in the service of making things better for people.

So you're right, it's lofty, but it's also trying to be open-ended-- which I think it important for a community that has as much energy for self-definition as ours does.