Hi,

I totally agree with Christine and I think it's right on topic. Like her, I
wasn't "formally" trained in visual design and like many in our line of work, I
sort of "fell into" this thing when there were no "accepted" qualifications and
the technology was still open doors to everyone.

I really dislike how, at least in the UK and parts of Europe anyway, new
entrants into the visual design field need to have degrees and certificates
coming out of their ears (indeed, the general lack of a sense of
"apprenticeship" in this industry bothers me, but maybe I'm just a bit too
traditional). Anyway I'm good at what I do and I think that's down to 90%
experience.

Of course, I made some mistakes and a few clients will have duly received the
results of them, but we have only really started to understand this medium in a
truly holistic way relatively recently.

I think there's still a lot of narcissism in "pure" design and I see what we do
as being more in the Bauhaus tradition of striving for perfection through
function, otherwise in my opinion you're trying to be an artist. We are not
aesthetes and that for me is the key difference - people need to actually use
our outputs in a way they don't with posters and "pure" design, where grabbing
attention for a moment is often the sole object of exercise.

Thanks,

Mike