Original question about 'how to force/ensure T&C perusal prior to
agreement':Years ago (early 2000's) I was branded by this experience where a
T&C dialogue box broke my expectations: After several attempts to click
through, I figured out i *had to* scroll all the way through the T&C text
box before I could click "Accept" and succeed. Ever since then, I've been on
the watch for others. It seems the original was something like AOL or
Napster or MS Money.

I've seen three versions of this:
- scroll to bottom of text box where you find the call-to-action
- scroll to bottom before being able to click
- using a rich layer to show the call-to-action when a user tries to do
something else

Later question about 'why not have plain language terms':
Southwest Airlines, www.southwest.com, has the most accessible terms and
conditions i've ever seen on their ticket policy. In fact, I think I've seen
both Forrester and AdaptivePath cite the example. This is exceptional
because ticket policies are akin to the offspring of a perpetual motion
machine and a Rube Goldberg machine. I'm guessing SWA's came from their
corporate culture, not from the urging of a designer.

The bottom line seems to be: The company will communicate clearly with
customers when they communicate clearly with each other. I agree that it's
our responsibility to help them see the value of and accept the
responsibility for that task.

I hope this helps.
-Jay

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 4:17 AM, McLaughlin Designs <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am looking for sample of Terms and Conditions acceptance with a bit of a
> twist.
>
> Generally when I have set up T&C acceptance in the past, there is a
> scrollable box with all the legal text followed by either a check box to say
> that you have read/accept the T&C or there are radio button for "yes" and
> "no" about accepting them. In either case a person never has to actually
> read, or even scroll to the bottom of, the T&C text. The common stuff...
>
> However I have a client that will not accept (no pun intended) this. Their
> legal team is insisting that the user is forced to at least reach the bottom
> of the T&C before they can accept them. They do understand that this does
> not mean that anyone had read the text, but they want to be able to say that
> at least someone has been forced to reach the end of the text before
> accepting it.
>
> While I have some ideas about how to go about this, I was wondering if
> anyone knew of some sample that are online now that are doing this.
>
> BTW – This is not something that is arguable with the legal team about not
> having this capability.
>

> Thanks -

Jay A. Morgan