Hi Jerome,

Will's right. Design is both a noun and a verb. In the book
Toothpicks and Logos, John Heskett put it like this: "Design is to
design a design to produce a design."

The gut-based response you're talking about sounds to me like what
some would call "genius design," and what I call extemporaneous
design. I think it's still design even if it looks like you're
winging it. It's just based on past experience and internalized
process rather than an immediate, visible process.

What's dangerous about considering design as response is that it
suggests that the designer isn't evaluating the stimulus critically.
They're just pecking away at the food delivery button. It usually
helps to step back and ask whether you're solving the right problem.

// jeff