Dan,
I accept that we, users/consumers, often get a raw deal.  Especially
given the new ground being broken in the information economy.  I
reject that we do not have a choice in all but a few exceptional
cases. (I do not understand the insulin pump reference)

To take the iPod as an example; Top notch industrial design, good
interface design, terrible DRM.  The marketing of the device plays to
our desires and blinds us to our needs.  A little research clearly
demonstrates the significant abuses Apple make on the consumer; You
dont 'own' the music you purchase, you cant move your library,
Apple encrypts unknown information in to your music, etc, etc.  This
is publicly available information and I suspect people would more
readily consider alternatives if they did a little more than make
impulse purchases of this trendy must-have device.

The real issue, as I see it, is not one of nefarious design, delivery
& support... the onus should be on end users to inform themselves
about what they're buying or signing up for.  You wouldn't buy a
house or car without doing some homework - the value of your personal
data is currently greatly underestimated.  I expect that to change as
the information economy/age continues to mature.

I've taken your list of Articles and reframed it to an _actionable_
set of items that will enable users to make purchasing decisions in
their interest, not what they were told in the advertising.

Article 1: I have the right to do my own research and avoid bad
products
Article 2: I am the sole guardian of my own data.
Article 3: My data is of value to others, I should regard it as
personal property.
Article 4: It is my responsibility to understand what a vendor plans
to do with my information when I chose to give it to them
Article 6: I have rights under common law for recourse against a
vendor who abuses my http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_rights.
Article 7: Based on Article 1, I should avoid products and services
that aim to lock me in and make it difficult to move my data at a
later date.
Article 8: I should give preference to products and services that
will help and support me after I purchase or subscribe.

I agree on the problem and appreciate the motivation behind creating
the list.  However, is the model of a 60 year old document borne out
of egregious abuses the right one in the information age?

This a battle between end-users and Manufacturers/Providers trying to
maximise profit with minimal delivery.  Do we ask them to start
playing nice or do we educate and support ourselves?  I believe the
latter is far more achievable and therefor the way forward.

/pauric