Hi Eric,

I would assert that basic link functionality can now be assumed for *most*
users who have at least rudimentary experience with web pages. I'm talking
specifically about "click the link" knowledge. Yes, even 60+ users.

That said, of course there are plenty of things that can and do get in the way
of that knowledge - mixed affordance, misdirection, and a host of other
usability problems - but the solution still shouldn't be an instructional line
about how links work.

What kind of trouble are your 60+ friends having on the web? Trouble with many
sites on the web is perfectly normal, even for 0-59 users, because lots of web
sites have bad design in many, many ways (still!). I personally have to doubt
that their trouble is coming from not knowing what a link is for. Relearning
how to use the bank website is a common frustration for all of us because banks
are notorious for horrendous usability. These are symptoms of usability
problems in design, though, and the design itself should be *fixed;* "obvious"
instructional text is just a big, bright pink band-aid soaked in salt.

Most problems we see with links nowadays come not from a lack of basic
understanding, but from the site not following basic link protocol and sending
mixed signals. Links of various colours, using the link colour for non-link
headers, "links" that aren't actually links but that do something unexpected,
etc.

Honestly, I don't like making assumptions either, but we have to make a few to
facilitate cohesive design for the majority of users. Of course, if your design
is aimed at people whom you *know* really don't understand how links work (and
good luck getting them to your web site, by the way), I'd *still* not go with
instructional text, but really gear the whole design a different way. Large,
easy to understand buttons with lots of "click me" affordance, less text - not
more, consistent use of good iconography, etc.

Happy Holidays,
Sylvania

User Experience Designer
Techsmith Corp.