Hey Matthew,

Congrats on the step forward. We made a similar move about a year ago - but
not with a pure GD - we brought on a GD/VizDev (visual developer) with a
passion for usability, accessibility and standards. We are based in Lebanon
so finding him was a beyond a challenge and I have no practical advice in
that area for you (he just fell into our laps).

However, my comments are about what happened after we hired him. We found
that our interaction designers (we call them analysts) were used to working
without him and we didn't successfully integrate him into our process until
very recently. This resulted in some strong disconnects between his ideas
and those of the analysts, mainly because he didn't always have the full
picture of the requirements driving solutions, and his contributions would
sometimes require throwing out core ideas the analysts had come up with.

We needed to make some changes to our methodology as well as to our own
ideas about where he fit in the team. We also needed to create a clearer
distinction between visual and interactive design elements since our
analysts had been covering a lot of both before he joined.

Today, we are involving him in the requirements collection/analysis and
solutions conceptualization process just like any of the analysts. This
ensures he has the same info the analysts do, and that his ideas are totally
integrated from day one.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Jennifer Carey