Gentlefolk,

Dana Chisnell wrote:
If you could design a voting system from scratch - with no constraints - what would that look like?

Hare-Clark: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hare-Clark>.

I'd also play linguistic god and ban use of the terms 'single-transferable vote' and 'instant run-off'. They'd be replaced with 'Hare-Clark' and 'proportional preferential'.

The first term is in deference to the two people responsible for the voting system and the second is in deference to the country (Australia, and more particularly the state of Tasmania within Australia) that pioneered use of it in actual elections and continues to use it to this day.

We use this system in real life, I think we should get dibs on naming the system. ;-)

The other voting system worth looking into is Range voting: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_voting>.

Regards,

Brian Forte.
--