Mary,

At Feralabs using our Webnographer Remote usability software we have carried
out a number of Remote Usability tests in Africa. I also used to work for
one of the largest Sub Saharan African owned software companies.

Your idea of using Skype with Africa runs into a number of challenges, both
legal and ethical :-

1) Legal and Ethical. By using Skype you could be making your Participant
break the law in their country. Using software like Skype that uses Voice
Over IP(VOIP) is still mainly illegal in most African countries. See:
http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/telecoms/2008/0805231036.asp?S=All%20Africa%20News&A=AFN&O=FRGN(Russell
Southwood
is a consultant to the organisations such as the World Bank and runs the
main news letter on African Telephony - ballancingact.)

2) Legal. Recording the telephone conversation call in some African
countries is illegal, even with the participants permission.

3) Ethical. The last issue is that Voice over IP uses allot of bandwidth.It
costs African ISP's over $8.00 usd per kb of bandwidth per year (that is
about 40 times it costs in the States).
http://ethanzuckerman.com/ericatberkman.pdf
It is the African ISP that pays for the connection from Europe or America,
not your ISP, so by using VOIP you are increasing the cost to the African
ISP and therefore making Internet Access more expensive in Africa. Also
Africa still has limited Bandwidth to the rest of the world, so you are
slowing everybodies connection. My connection at the office is more than
some ISP's in Africa have!

Solutions. Either use Webnograpther, or another Asynchronous system. Or use
Critical Incident Reporting over Email, or we can also help with finding
people that can conduct tests on the ground. There may not be many usability
people there, but there are many trained ethnographers in Africa, with very
high standards.

All the best

James
http://blog.feralabs.com