Hi!
I'm in the process of finding pros and cons for a specific menu system based
closely on this pattern described here back inn 1999:
http://www.uidesign.net/1999/papers/Chessboard.html
What is not clearly stated in the Uidesign paper is that if you select a
topic in the left hand menu it "sticks" to that choice until you make
another choice in the left hand menu. Same goes for top menu.

So choosing a subject in the left menu and then clicking a infotype in the
top menu. It will display that subject in selected info type(top menu).
Selecting another infotype in the top menu, the subject will stick and it
will show the same subject just in another info type. (and the same, the
other way around)

This closely resembles a conventional menu system, and that is why I'm in
great doubt about this solution.

The site in question is a huge statistical information site.
It targets everybody* (I know, i know, but it's a governmental site, and has
to do so by law)*
It will have 25 choices down the left hand side menu and 7 across the top
menu (25x7 menu items)

I am put to the task of evaluating this solution and are looking for some
comments.

Have anybody seen successful implementation of this type of pattern?
Please; any comments is wellcome.

Cheers
:)tom