Using a user's IP address to tell you where they are is NOT a good
idea. The proxy will fool you too often.

For accessibility and language issues I would use a graphical map
approach just like Jack suggested. This way even if the language is
different, the user still knows where their country is on a map and
will be able to select it.

You can tie into Google's API...this is an old file I found
(http://www.nearby.org.uk/coords/countries.csv), but you can see how
you can use the coordinates to create polygons to outline countries.

-Jake