Just published:
interactions magazine, January+February 2009
http://interactions.acm.org/

=========
(Welcome) Interactions: Time for Some Change
Richard Anderson, Jon Kolko
Full article for free

=====
Section: The Potential for Technology-Enabled Connections

Social Network Sites and Society: Current Trends and Future Possibilities
Nicole Ellison, Cliff Lampe, Charles Steinfield

90 Mobiles in 90 Days: A Celebration of Ideas for Mobile User Experience
Rachel Hinman

(Under Development) Kids, Education, and Cellular Handsets
Jakkaphan Tangkuampien

Automated Journeys -- Automated Connections
Lars Erik Holmquist

(Ps and Qs) Givin' You More of What You're Funkin' For: DJs and the Internet
Elizabeth F. Churchill
Full article for free

=====
Section: The Need for Companies to Change their Ways

(Cover Story) The Washing Machine that Ate My Sari -- Mistakes in Cross-Cultural Design
Apala Lahiri Chavan, Douglas Gorney, Beena Prabhu, Sarit Arora
Full article for free

(Lifelong Interactions) Designing Senior-Friendly Living, or Why Doesn't My Cable Work?
Jonathan Lazar

The Heterogeneous Home
Ryan Aipperspach, Ben Hooker, Allison Woodruff

(The Way I See It) People are from Earth, Machines are from Outer Space
Don Norman
Full article for free

Product Design 2.0 and the Genesis of Kicker Studio
Dan Saffer

((P)review) A Kiss is just a Kiss; A Sigh is just a Deselection: A Review of Designing Gestural Interfaces
Carla Diana

(Sustainably Ours) Melo Velo
ELi Blevis

=====
Section: Enabling the Pursuit of Different Goals

Design versus Innovation: The Cranbrook / IIT Debate
Scott Klinker, Jeremy Alexis

Can "Wow" be a Design Goal?
James M. Hudson, Kameshwari (Kay) Viswanadha

(Timelines) Sound in Computing: A Short History
Paul Robare, Jodi Forlizzi

The Value of Visual Design in Software Development
Kimberly Peter

(On Modeling) What is Interaction? Are There Different Types?
Hugh Dubberly, Paul Pangaro, Usman Haque

(True Tales) Poets, Priests, and Politicians
Steve Portigal
Full article for free

=====
(Closing) interactions cafe

On Marketing, Words, ...
Jon Kolko, Richard Anderson
Full article for free

-----
Richard I. Anderson

"User Experience" Practice, Management, & Organizational Strategy
http://www.riander.com/ & http://riander.blogspot.com/

Co-Editor-in-Chief, interactions magazine
http://interactions.acm.org/