This might be off on somewhat of a tangent, but there are tools to indicate
risk, but then there are all the cognitive biases that affect how people
perceive risk in the social and cognitive psychology.  The work of Tversky
and Kahneman and others on biases like the salience bias where perceptions
of risk are influenced by the salience of related events.  For example, a
person who just had someone die from a medical condition is likely to view
risk differently.
I'm not near my references now, but if this seems relevant, I can provide
some more detailed references.

Good topic and interesting research.
Chauncey