I'm looking at a system that's heavy on data entry. On most forms, only
some of the fields are required. On some of these forms, whether items are
required is dependant on what another item is set to.

For a pretend example:

There are fields for "Preferred contact method" and "Phone number". If you
select "Phone" for the preferred contact method, you MUST enter a phone
number. If you select "E-mail" for the preferred contact method, you CAN
enter a phone number, but you don't have to.

So, given that we are using asterisks (*) to represent required fields, it
seems to me that we could:

(a) add/remove the asterisk as the field becomes required or not required
(b) not use an asterisk for field that are conditional
(c) not change the asterisk once it has initially been placed

It seems to me that the advantage of (a) is that the user would be able to
build a model of how one things relate to the others (the relationships are
made quite explicit) and at any given time you'd be able to see which fields
were required. A downside is that you'd have the visual disturbance of the
screen changing, and the user might not necessarily be able to deduce the
reason behind it.

The other two raise the spectre of the asterisks not being accurate at all
times, which makes me a bit uncomfortable, and could undermine the trust the
user has in those indicators. On the plus side, each given screen would be
consistent.

Does anyone have any views/experience of this? What have you done in similar
circumstances?

Thanks,
Chris.