Paul

Sounds a bit like a hostile colleague to me. In these sorts of cases, it's often best to step aside, and let them proceed straight on at full speed :)

As long as his team's failure (and if they really are looking only at numbers, and he isn't just pulling your chain, then they will likely fail in some notable fashion) doesn't adversely affect you, experience recommends letting them jump off of the quantitative cliff without too much interference.

If your work is decent, it will only make you look better by comparison...

Cheers,
Joe Lamantia