Hi Everyone,

I've been looking around for design schools that can teach the relevant
skills and methodologies required to be certified as an interaction
designer. Unfortunately, I haven't been too confident with the results I've
found: Schools I've come across within a near geographic region have:

   - Graduate degrees and PGs in ixd related fields that are recognized by
   the local industry but the graduates who have published their
   designs/products appear to have created sub-par designs/wire frames and
   products.
   -
      - If the full degree or parts of it were ixda recognized, students who
      are aspiring to be ixd's would at least be confident the courses
are using
      relevant materials and methodologies.
      - Diploma that claim to use experience and expertise of instructor
   rather than local industry recognized methodologies
      - Despite the disclosed lack of local industry recognition for those
      particular specialized diplomas, the pre-diploma foundation
courses at the
      same colleges seem to provide a valid foundation for learning
how to design
      for technology
      - Pre-diploma courses having ixda approval could be more easily
         recognized by aspiring ixd students
         - Despite the lack of local industry acknowledgement of the
         diploma, the courses involved could be a relevant path
towards a PG in ixd.

As an additional boost, how about including courses and workshops that have
parts of the ideal curriculum that would work for building a foundation
(pre-college) or path (graduate level) towards a full fledged masters degree
in ixd?

In reference to whats been discussed on
http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=30515, the suggestions there seem to be
the ideal reference for a full ixda degree at the masters level and some
could be used for identifying which pre-college/graduate courses could
contain methodologies and materials relevant to building a path towards a
master's level ixd certification.

Viewing ixda approval/recogntion badges on a school's website (I assume it
would be a marketing boost for the school to have a badge of approval or
recognition from an industy group on display) would make it easier for
future ixd's to select the right courses and institutions along the way.

There are possible positive side effects by having ixd courses recognized at
earlier stages of schooling (pre-college/graduate:)

   - Current IxD/UxD's in an organization have an easier time bringing in
   persons who have some academic ixd training and knowledge (Current HR and
   management in less knowledgeable organizations or those who don't have
   access to ixda conferences and publications seem to only accept locally
   recognized degrees that are not fully applicable to work that requires ixd
   proficiency.)
   - Traditional HR departments have an easier time recognizing which jobs
   need an ixd (assuming they successflly cross reference which courses are
   ixda approved and what the job requires.)
   - Non-design students (business/programming/marketing and more) who
   mingle with ixd students could have an inkling at an earlier stage of how
   ixd or the lack of it can impact a product during its life cycle and its
   relevance to their businesses and work.

Just a few thoughts I had on how to push awareness of ixd at an earlier
stage in the life of a professional.

Cheers,
SteveJB