There was a discussion recently that noted how much bad interaction design
exists in the world and that this org needs to do more to establish
competency. Slightly related... was an announcement that education is one of
the top priorities for the ixda in the coming months and years.
some quick positional takes (or working assumptions) on my part:

every product gets designed... relatively few things are designed well or by
professional designers

with millions of web and software developers working in the world... and
only thousands of IA's and IXd folks... we are spread quite thin

it seems reasonable that those of us participating in this online
conversation are pretty motivated.

I personally can't recall knowing or working with a designer who's
aspirations were to be 'competent'.

So as an interaction designer, what are your career aspirations?