What kind of a site is it?  The security you need to have should be a
primary driver in this one.  An email address is EASILY phishable.
If I know your (or any) email address, I am half way into your
account.  I am just one weak password away from your details.

Also, what is the user opinion on HAVING to supply you with an email
address?  I wouldnt cough mine up easily, but I would easily cough up
my handle.

If your site 100% relies on needing an email address, and your site
does not have a lot of security concerns, then use it.  Why not.
Otherwise, consider a handle instead.

Chris