On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Caroline Jarrett
<caroline.jarr...@effortmark.co.uk> wrote:
> Jorge:
>>
>> $5k per person in huge -- if you live/work in the "developed" markets.
>> For those of us in less developed countries, it is simply unrealistic.
>>
>> A shame, too -- if the objective really is to "bring forth a web
>> concept that will contribute to world peace and reconciliation",
>> making it more accessible to folks from a variety of backgrounds would
>> have been desirable.
>
> Isn't this also an example of 'genius design' at its worst? The basic
> premise of the competition is that they want a web site that will help to
> bring peace to an area of conflict - but they are going to do it by locking
> designers into a room and telling them to come up with a great design.
>
> How will the user and other stakeholders be brought into that?

I wouldn't think so - there's a time and space for 'being locked in a
room' - ideas can build,
brainstorming accomplished, the knowledge and experience of those
coming in can be brought to bear.
It may be slight heresy to suggest this could ever possibly work in
any imaginable scenario,
but...it can.  Not all things are equal to all purposes, really, and
not all conferences are for everyone,
and the end results can be for different purposes and effect.

What is stopping anyone unable and unwilling to go and engage in what
this conference has
to offer from producing their own solutions?
(Of course, the standard answers are valid: time, money, will, etc.)

To be fair, this one certainly isn't for me,  unless I was of a
different level of wealth and mindset.
Brr!

Scott

--
"In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life may you
proceed with balance and stealth."  -Patti Smith