I think BA do a very good job of managing the booking process.

There's an aggregator worth looking at if you haven't seen it
already - Kayak.com.  To my mind they have been providing the best
search experience for a long time, and it is of course much harder
for aggregators than for airlines because of the way they access the
data.

Irrelevant but funny ... best travel site name for me is the Indian
site oktatabyebye.com