I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that since our brains are
99.9% the same, that there is an underlying physics which will predict
why we find something beautiful. Look at the pop song hit-prediction
software - it's been proven to be accurate up to a limit. That limit
is probably a numerical valuation of the differences between humans
due to nature & nurture.

But brains are very complex systems, so it doesn't take much to add
a layer that scrambles the visual input, or have a set of experiences
that add such extreme emotional value to a given stimulus that any
low-level similarity is overcome. Even if they subconsciously
recognize it as "beauty", another part of the brain is telling them
it isn't.

I had a visual theory in film prof at USC, Bruce Block, who claimed
that the eye prefers areas of sharp contrast, because it has learned
to use higher contrast patterns to discern danger. Those who
preferred visual subtlety were eaten by tigers, I guess. But perhaps
we've bred that idea back into commonness...