From: discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of Jim
Drew
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:37 PM
To: UI List
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] To use a colon or not to use a colon after
field labels

Possibly missed in this thread is the "origin" question.  Rather than
"Should I use a colon or not?", ask instead "Why did we used to always
use colons?"

My thought is that it tied in with Labels Use Title Case.  The label
plus the field or control content made a "Title: Subtitle" comb.  The
colon wasn't there just by chance; it was there to signal the end of the
Title part, or the division between the two.

Today, much software no long uses Title Case.  Labels tend to be more
sentence like in their structure, with the field or control content
being the predicate or object of the sentence:

Choice for President: [John McCain]

... has become

My choice for President is [Barack Obama]

A colon is incorrect grammar in the new style of label; if anything,
there should be a trailing period, but that would truly be visual noise
(and would usually not sit just after the sentence predicate).

So I would say to use a colon if your labels are in Title Case, and not
to use one if they are not.  (And if they are in Title Case, ask the
question why your label design seems stuck in the 1990s.  There may be a
deeper issue to examine.)

(Discussion of why Title Case was used -- and when it might still be
best -- is another thread.)

-- Jim Drew
   UI/UX Software Tester
   Seattle, WA