It could be that they don't understand (clearly enough) the material that
you present immediately before you present the arrays. Is the following
accurate?

They can handle the basic drawing canvas.
Draw a line from here to there.
Draw a bezier curve with these parameters.
Draw a figure with these parameters.

They can handle iteration.
Draw a line. Move down.
Draw a line. Move down.

They can barely handle the two notions together.
Draw a complex figure here, then change the parameters.

To understand that, they need to be very clear about:
 1. The input parameters
 2. The figure specified by the input parameters (regardless of position)
 3. Where the figure would appear when rendered in the drawing area
 4. Accumulation of successive figures in the drawing area

Maybe it would help to ask them to explain, using these four concepts, how
the drawing area is filled in.

Once they have a firm grasp of these pre-requisites, they have a chance of
understanding what arrays are useful for.

Arrays are just a way of storing parameters as you generate them. They're
most useful when you want to compute (concept 2) or render (concept 3) a
figure in a different order from the order in which you figure out the
parameters.

Best wishes,

Bruce Esrig
Volunteer, IxDA NYC