There is some research in Mayhew's 1992 book *Principles* and Guidelines in
*Software User Interface* Design as well as in the HFES database where many
studies have been done with icons and words in toolbars/button bars.

What aspect of performance are you most interested in:  time to find a
button, legibility, error rates, aesthetic appeal, ......

Chauncey