Another well-known community is the discussion forum associated with
Mothering magazine:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/

Facebook is extremely popular among many mothers I know online, as well.
(Which should come as no surprise.)  LiveJournal used to have some very busy
parenting forums several years ago; it's probably declined since then,
relative to Facebook and other networking sites. And while email might be
seen as old-fashioned by some, it seems to be heavily used for small or
localized networks of like-minded mothers.  This is anecdotal, so discount
as needed.

                   - Jenifer