There might be a bit of a problem with this approach. The browser can only
detect whether the user has a reader configured to load as a plugin. That
rules out users in firms with paranoid IT departments, which sometimes
install reader as a stand-alone for security purposes, and also users who
have the full version of acrobat and never bother installing the reader
plugin.

I have no idea how many people live in either of those categories, but it's
seems to me worth trying to figure it out before deciding on the javascript
approach. Either way, your usability assesment should ensure that the design
still works even if your user is a "false negative" for the plugin.

Cheers!