I'm a bit curious about the emergence of a pattern in recent years.

In embedded Flash movie players it has become pretty common to see
player controls (play, ff, rw, etc.) fade out after some time of
inactivity or mouse out, and fade back in on action, mousein, etc.
We can also see this when you use a quicktime player in full screen
mode.

The benefits of creating a seamless way to shift focus are obvious.

I was wondering if anyone could add a few more examples of when a UI
changes opacity to shift focus from control to consume? Or for any
other reason? Other examples than web?

Cheers.