I really think we're over complicating the whole thing.

As far as "designers" go in the interactive world, I think they now fall
into two distinct types: visual and interaction (or UI).

In my mind, Interaction/UI Designers define how a web app/system/gadget
works. Or, how someone uses it. Visual designers define how something *looks
*. They choose the colors, fonts, and images.

Visual designers are a dime a dozen, but interaction/ui designers are rare.
A combination of the two is even more rare.

It's a simple view, and it could be worded much better, but that's my two
cents.

Hugh Griffith
User Interface Designer