Hey Dave,

> The differences culturally between the orgs is HUGE, IMHO. and if you
> want to talk overlap, the greatest overlap statistically is NOT with
> IAI but with CHI-WEB in terms of other membership then IAI. But what
> makes IxDA not IAI is not the overlap, but where it doesn't overlap.
> That permeates throughout the organization's structure, and yes the
> discussion.

Ok, so what is the difference? Where is the not-overlap, the totally
different culture? Are we really talking about Painters vs. Sculpturors,
or about problems of naming and organizations? I can't make out a big
difference in topics on the iai-members list compared to this list,
maybe sometimes someone writes "Taxonomy", and there is less traffic.

To me, the difference is
* IAI: Paid, well organized, services such as scholarships
* IxDA: Free=open, great discussion, great local groups

It would be great when IAI opens its mailing list to everyone, and if
IxDA sets up a formal structure with paid membership, scholarships etc.
- then we really have everything two times, and each org will be able to
strongly evangalize its very special contribution to products &
services, which is not at all covered by the other. (Please turn on your
sarcasm detector).

Here http://www.ixda.org/search.php?tag=joel we talked about a designer
being capable of envisioning the whole UX, and that is also what this is
about: less deliverable & method, less I'm information and you're
interaction, more outcome: good UXs.

Milan

--
milan guenther * interaction design