I have no idea what it's called, but it does offer a responsive, fluid
transition between its expanded and collapsed states. I rather like it.
If you want a name for it, I can suggest:
- an in-situ fluid x-axis expander with a column-deforming y-axis expanding
reveal
- a front-focused baseline locked two-step carousel
- a two-axis accordion

More importantly, what would you call it? Let's hear your suggestion.

Then there is the matter of its usability. Well, it does a few things well
and hints at how to do them quite decently. The staggered fades aren't to my
taste, but I'm just one user.

So, why not ask "What does Sony need the front page to do?" and try to
figure out how well thingamajig does that job.

What do *you* think?