Gary,

The biggest difference with the Wii Fit is that it "knows" what I
am doing. It tells me *how well* I am doing the exercise and gives me
a point score each time I do it. Since most of the exercises are done
on the Balance Board, you can see your balance *while* you are doing
the exercise and it shows you a quick summary after you finish the
exercise. This "scoring" allows you to compete against yourself or
others in your family, much like a typical video game.

The Wii Fit software is also tracking *when* you are using it, so it
can then gently remind you that it has been 5 days since you last
used it or congratulate you when it sees you are doing it every day.
It even lets you know that it has been a while since it has seen
other members of your family%u2014if they haven't been doing it
regularly.

This is very different from a fitness DVD, which isn't really
interactive. It can't tell me how well I'm doing or know how often
I am using it, and so can't really personalize itself to *my*
exercise experience. It's through this personalized experience that
the Wii Fit is able to better motivate me and change my behavior.

And if I get tired of exercises, I can just play games, which are
still exercise.

David B. Rondeau
Design Chair
InContext Design (http://www.incontextdesign.com)