(As I just commented on Nathaniel's post)
I googled "define:elicit" and got some interesting definition - my favourite
(in this context) was:

"To evoke, educe (emotions, feelings, responses, etc.); to generate, obtain,
or provoke as a response or answer; To draw out, bring out, bring forth
(something latent); to obtain information from someone or something; To use
logic to arrive at truth; to derive by reason; deduce; construe"

I like the "(something latent)" - I don't take "elicit behaviour" as getting
users to do what they don't actually want to do, more to do that which will
actually achieve their aims. For example, if the user wants to delete a
tweet, you want him to click on the "dustbin" icon, you want to "elicit"
that behaviour.

I think your definition does apply, but at a more general level. I like the
"elicit" definition as being more specific.

2009/4/15 Nathaniel Flick <natoba...@gmail.com>

> I wrote something similar on my blog, http://thesalon.blogspot.com.
> Basically, Interaction Design: Simplify It is a reaction to comments
> made that IxD elicits responses from users. I believe IxD facilitates
> instead.

> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=41243

"Tigers walk behind me, they're there to remind me - I'm lost but I'm not
afraid" David Byrne and Brian Eno: Life is long