We have a similar problem for a complex web application. The approach
we have taken is to ensure that legacy tools are migrated whole,
rather than piecemeal, and we keep the global navigation consistent
in all cases, which we hope provides a familiar framework for users.

Local navigation is trickier, since it needs to be migrated with the
tool pages. We tried to avoid radical changes to local navigation,
while still providing small improvements, especially to usability.

The end result is fairly seemless; although seasoned or observant
users can easily spot the legacy tools, there are no jumps between
legacy and non-legacy pages WITHIN a given tool, so the transitions
are not jarring.