I'm working on a project to try to detect a user's connection speed and
ensure that we serve up the better page for their speed. Modem users will
get simpler pages, where high-speed users will get pages with richer
interactions.

We've tried a number of ways to detect the speed (and I don't have the
details of what we've already tried) but none of them have really met the
project team's quality standards, so we're now looking into ways to prompt
the user to tell us what speed they're on.

I'm looking for any examples you might have of pages that offer a "light"
version of a site or a page, and how it's identified to the users. (The
only examples I've found so far are a: Newegg.com offers a "lite" link at
the bottom of their page and b: If "loading" displays too long on the
Google Maps page they'll offer an HTML version of the page.)

If coincidentally you've discovered some rock-solid method of detecting
high-speed vs. modem usage, I'd love to hear about that as well!

thanks!
anne gibson
information architect
Vanguard

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message,
including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the
property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the
individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient
or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or
distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.