I'd be interested to hear of examples or ideas like that as well.

I think the best improvement I've seen is to disable scrolling after
a user clicks an item from the dropdown. Since focus remains on the
dropdown, scrolling often becomes a problem, especially for web pages
/ apps, since scrolling is generally required on most web sites. It's
pretty annoying to have the dropdown change after you make your
selection because you needed to scroll back up to some other control
or to the top level nav, etc.