Has anyone come across an example of search results which aren't
based on the "base-10" method of displaying results per page?

For example, I've got a situation where a legacy product is
currently displaying 9 results per page and the reasons I've
gathered are:

1) Each result is associated with a number on the keypad (press 1 to
go to 1st result on the page, 2 for the 2nd result, etc.), but the
number 0 is being reserved as a keypad shortcut for another
function.

2) Businesses make up the core of our search and they don't want to
be associated with 0 even though they're displayed as 10.  (I've
been told they did "testing" on this, but haven't been given
anything to prove this other than someone's word.)

My initial thoughts are that sticking with a standard "view results
1 - 10" would override these, but only for consistency and the fact
that results 1-9, 10-18, 19-27, etc. looks pretty strange.  It might
be something which causes the user to take pause as to why this is
occurring.  But I don't feel that's really presenting a strong case
against the existing design.

Hope this makes sense.  Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.