I have witnessed the same transition. When I started working in the Internet world 1995, I never heard of Information Architecture nor Usability Engineering, etc. There were no specific models. I applied my previous experiences in journalism and graphic design, with a strong will to build things that communicate well and appropriately. These practices were integrated into my work and that of others, often in a quite informal way. Many websites, even major ones worked without any serious effort in architecture nor usability, thus many mainstreams sites in the early days were atrocious.

In the late 90's I became aware of these practices as separate disciplines, but still with little history on the web, we looked mostly to software development practices. The problem with this is that software is developed in a much more formal, structured, costly, and time-consuming way than web sites. Web agencies and large web sites adopted these methods, but some tended to get a bit too formal and separate in these practices.

Today I am working on smaller projects than in the past, so I don't know if my story is typical. But these disciplines are more integrated. I see this happening to others too where just to cut costs, teams cannot afford the "luxury" of having an autonomous Information Architecture discipline. I think for certain major web sites, it makes sense to have a separate staff dedicated to this, but for the majority of other sites, no. It really depends on the site and the business needs.

Overall, I think it is a healthy evolution. I have always seen IA as a discipline that is interdisciplinary. An IA speaks for programming, design, marketing, and of course the everyday user.

 .   .   .   michael kay
 .   .   .   buenos aires / http://www.peep.org